Tuesday 5 June 2012

Viaduct update

I made a quick visit to Cadwell Lane to check on progress on the viaduct.  I have been away for a few days and was quite surprised to learn that my humble blog has been followed by the Hitchin Alliance who are carrying out the construction of the new line.  They have very generously offered me a site visit so I might be in a position to comment more accurately on the work as it progresses.  The first section of viaduct as been lifted into position during my absence and looks quite dramatic against the sky.  

 The first picture is by the back of the scrapyard.  The pile driver has moved further south but apart from that, little change here.
 Turning round to the north from the same location, you can see the first section of viaduct on the higher triangle of land between the main line and the former Bedford line.
 Moving up on to the triangle a closer shot.  I was mistaken about the steel work behind which is obviously temporary to support this section until the next section is connected.
 A side on shot.
 Here you can see the support immediately next to the west side of the main line.  It has now been poured.
As has the matching one of the east side.
 A closer shot of the viaduct section.  There appears to be an access aperture in the end for maintenance.

Finally the steel work for last pier on the higher ground is starting to appear above ground level as is the one next to it.  Also what appeared to be walkways are being attached to either side of the large section I photographed on my last visit.  Unfortunately the picture of this did not come out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment